Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Nipponia Electronica

Ever seen this?



This was intended for release on the Dreamcast. It was supposedly finished but was cancelled and has never leaked. Apparently demos were pressed but they found a multiplayer bug on the discs and decided not to issue them. Maybe it cost too much to repress them, maybe they didn't have faith in the game, maybe the Dreamcast was all but dead. Whatever the reason, it didn't come out, and this seems to be most of what's left of it, barely a memory.

The gameplay isn't what interests me. I like the visuals, but they don't grab me either. It's the sound. The music and vocodered voice are arresting.

When I looked for more info on who may have done what related to Dee Dee Planet, I found a mention of Kentaro Hamasoto having been credited with SOUND. Whether that's music or just the sounds in the game, I don't know, but he has a very interesting YouTube channel named Nipponia Electronica, which you can visit by clicking on those very words. Lots of sound and video experiments, very cool stuff.

I don't know if I'll ever get to hear more of the music from Dee Dee Planet, or if Hamasoto is the person responsible for it's unique vibes, but I'll keep looking. For now, check out the above video of Dee Dee Planet and if you want more info about it, visit Unseen64. And definitely check out Nipponia Electronica, it's pretty damn cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

slow

It's summer, I have a job, I'm trying to write, I'm not getting much done, and it shows here. Sorry to anyone wondering what'...