Saturday, March 23, 2019

so..., do you like... stuff?

K Records are a complete oddity these days. The long-standing label apparently owes tons of money to it's artists and is trying to stay afloat, while it's founder, Calvin Johnson, of Beat Happening fame, continues having a solo career. It's one of those things where I don't know what to think about their actions. They could be genuinely trying to work everything out, but you don't hear about that. They could be ignoring the issues, but you don't hear about that either. On top of that, while most of the catalog seems to be available digitally, some stuff remains unavailable. Some has been reclaimed by the artists, like Beck's One Foot in the Grave, but I can't say that for everything else. So I don't know what to think, but they're still operating, and Lois Maffeo is still there, so I'll ignore problems in favor of assuming their hearts are still in the right places until I hear further. They're still in the U.S., and it's still innocent until proven guilty. Anyway, hard to have bad vibes for a label as cool as K. Not like Greg Ginn and the way he continues to abuse the artists' whose music he released on SST.

So I had to find an original 7" of Dub Narcotic Sound System's Fuck Shit Up since it's not available digitally and I couldn't tolerate listening to a shitty MP3 that someone ripped poorly and encoded in a low bit-rate any longer. I'm not including the b-side, which is a "version" and is okay, but the b-side does not win this round. Not even close. Enjoy the a-side in all it's anarchistic glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

slow

It's summer, I have a job, I'm trying to write, I'm not getting much done, and it shows here. Sorry to anyone wondering what'...