Tuesday, April 23, 2019

a poem about neil young vomiting

If that title isn't a hint, well, uh, sorry. If you did get the hint, you are now rewarded with a few Soul Coughing obscurities. The first are two tracks from the Ruby Vroom sessions back in 1994, and the second a rather obscure mix of Super Bon Bon from the one and only Tchad Blake. I've shared versions of the Ruby Vroom tracks elsewhere before, so maybe you've heard them, but probably not. As for Super Bon Bon, almost definitely not.

The quick and dirty of it is, a friend and I were involved in trying to get a Soul Coughing archival release project off the ground a few years ago, but issues with a specific member of the band put those goals on ice for the time being. We were far from ready for prime time, but we'd gotten new transfers of a bunch of live shows (some already in circulation but still significant upgrades), and a lot of unreleased or rare material. I'm not supposed to release any of it, which is a shame, but my friend and I agreed to release some of these Ruby Vroom rough mixes once or twice. Since then, I've re-done my initial transfer of the RV tape and put my own mastering touches on the tracks, and I think they came out pretty good for my thoroughly uneducated ass. The first is an extended version of Bus to Beelzebub, with an unused intro and an unfaded outro. The second is the first of two takes of Disseminated that were recorded during the RV sessions, though the song was re-recorded for Irresistible Bliss, so this version is completely unreleased. And finally, the version of Super Bon Bon seems to have been released on a Japanese issue of IB, though all I have to go on that is a vague reference on Discogs. It's super swampy and funky, though not dubby in the traditional, reggae sense. Still, calling it a "dub" version is probably the easiest description you could give it with some accuracy.

Click on the song titles in the last paragraph to check them out. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

slow

It's summer, I have a job, I'm trying to write, I'm not getting much done, and it shows here. Sorry to anyone wondering what'...